英语口语 | 凯特王妃刚生就出门,外国人真的不坐月子吗?

今年4月,凯特王妃平安诞下了一名小王子。产后仅仅5小时,就和威廉王子走出了医院。外国人坐月子吗?答案是大写的“不”。

美国人不坐月子

英语口语 | 凯特王妃刚生就出门,外国人真的不坐月子吗?

American don't have this tradition, this practice.
在美国,没有这个传统和做法。

After giving birth in America, the nurse would give you a glass of cold water to cool down.
在美国生完孩子,护士会给你一杯冷水,让你降降温。

You can take a shower after giving birth to rinse off the blood.
在生完宝宝的第二天你就可以洗澡, 把血冲掉。

  • OB/GYN:产科医生(全称:Obstetrician/Gynaecologist)

英语口语 | 凯特王妃刚生就出门,外国人真的不坐月子吗?

“坐月子”用英语怎么说?

  • “Sitting the month": 坐月子

不过这个说法在英语里本来不存在,是从中文直译的。

  • The month after giving birth: 月子,生完孩子的那个月

坐月子是个中国古老的传统

What's the reasoning behind yuezi?
坐月子的道理是什么?

It's a really old tradition that's been around for hundreds if not thousands of years.
这是一个千百年的悠久传统。

The hygienic standards were really low back then.
古时候的卫生条件很差。

People didn't have running water, hot water.
没有自来水、热水。

If you took a shower after giving birth, it might really weaken your body and harm your health.
生好孩子洗澡,很可能危及健康。

Even though hygienic standards are much better now, the power of tradition is still very strong.
虽然现在卫生条件好多了,但是传统的力量还是很强。

坐月子是一家人的工程

It takes a village.
坐月子要动用一村子、一家、一群人才能完成的事情。

Many young Chinese women might also think some yuezi practices are too extreme.
很多年轻中国女性也觉得有些坐月子的方式很极端。

Not washing up for a month is gross.
一个月不洗澡真的很恶心。

It's like street beggars, who don't bathe and smell horrible.
就好像街头乞丐,他们不洗澡,闻起来臭得恐怖。

But we do it because we respect tradition.
但我们尊重传统。

坐月子真的要sit一个月? 

If you are cautious in the month after giving birth, it's good for the baby too.
好好坐月子,对宝宝也好。

Breastfeeding is important for both mothers and babies.
母乳喂养对母亲和婴儿都很重要。

You probably wouldn't even have the energy to shower.
你可能在月子里也没力气洗澡。

英语口语 | 凯特王妃刚生就出门,外国人真的不坐月子吗?

There are so many germs outside,it's better to stay at home and not leave the door for a whole month.
因为外面还有很多细菌, 最好一个月在家,不出门。

You need to relax and take it easy.
月子里需要静养、休息。

中国庞大的月子产业

在坐月子的时候,很多人会订月子餐(Sitting the month special meals)而且很贵(so overpirced)

It’s tasteless and very particular about what you eat.
通常月子餐很清淡,也很讲究营养。

You can eat more pork livers to replenish a large amount of lost blood.
你可以大量吃猪肝来补充生孩子时大量流失的血。

You should stay away from cold stuff.
你千万不要吃冷的。

It is also a big expense to have a post-baby maid or to go to the Special yuezi retreat.
请一个月嫂或者去月子中心同样也是一笔不小的开销。

  • Post-baby maid:月嫂(Specialized nanny: 特殊的保姆)
  • Special yuezi retreat:月子中心

美国人还是会有些不理解

如果是一个生过孩子的美国女生,一定更能体会月子的重要性;不过,对于不洗澡、不洗头这些传统,外国人还真有些心理障碍。

表示“不相信”可以用以下的表达:

  • I'm not sold: 我不相信
  • Not convinced: 不信服
  • I'm not buying it :我不相信你说的

怎么用?

They are not entirely sold on the Old wives' tale.
他们不相信坊间传说、没有科学依据的传说。

英语口语 | 凯特王妃刚生就出门,外国人真的不坐月子吗?

But it's better safe than sorry.
但我们还是小心谨慎好。月子保养好、以后没烦恼。

Sitting the month helps you become healthier.
坐月子会让你更健康。

It also makes you look better.
也会让你更漂亮。

Maybe it's the reason why Asians don't crack after giving brith。
也许这就是亚洲人不显老、不会崩掉的原因吧。