区别辨析meet、encounter、confront、face与contact

meet、encounter、confront、face与contact这些动词均有“遇见、会见、碰见”之意。

meet : 普通用词,本义指双方或多方从不同方向或相反方向作向对运动,最终相碰(遇)。

  • They met at work.
    他们是在工作时认识的。
  • I met her in Hawaii.
    我在夏威夷认识了她。

encounter : 通常指遇到困难或挫折,也指偶然或意外地相遇。

  • I had an alarming encounter with a wild pig.
    我曾经意外地碰到过一头野猪,真是惊险。
  • This meeting will be the first encounter between the party leaders since the election.
    这是自大选以来两党领导人首次狭路相逢。

confront : 不可避免的,面对面的相遇。也指敢于正视困难或问题的决心和信心。

  • As she left the court, she was confronted by angry crowds who tried to block her way.
    她离开法庭时,愤怒的人群试图拦住她的去路。
  • It's an issue we'll have to confront at some point, no matter how unpleasant it is.
    不管它有多讨厌,我们终究要面对这个问题。

face : 侧重双方静止地面对面,或指指充满勇气、信心和决心正视人或事。

  • This is one of the many problems faced by working mothers.
    这是身为职业妇女的母亲们面临的众多难题之一。
  • Passengers could face long delays.
    旅客可能会长时间滞留。

contact : 多指通过书信、电话或直接会面和别人联系。口语用词。

  • I tried to contact him at his office, but he wasn't in.
    我试着给他的办公室打电话,但是他不在。
  • Unless the money is paid, we will be contacting our legal department.
    如果不付款,我们马上就和法律部门联系。