区别辨析maybe、perhaps、possibly与probably

maybe、perhaps、possibly与probably这些副词均有“或许、大概”之意。

maybe : 普通用词,美国英语多用。指某事也许如此,含不能确定意味。

  • Maybe they'll come tomorrow.
    或许他们明天会来。
  • Maybe you were right after all.
    或许还是你对。

perhaps : 普通用词,多用于英国,与maybe同义。

  • He hasn't written to me recently - perhaps he's lost my address.
    他最近没给我写信——也许他把我的地址弄丢了。
  • Perhaps the most important question has not been asked.
    或许还没有人提出最重要的问题。
  • We plan to travel to Europe - to Spain or Italy perhaps.
    我们打算去欧洲旅行,也许去西班牙或意大利。

possibly : 指客观上潜存着发生某种变化的可能。

  • He may possibly decide not to come, in which case there's no problem.
    他可能会决定不来,这样就没问题了。
  • "Will he come?" "Possibly not."
    “他会来吗?”“恐怕不会。”

probably : 一般指根据逻辑推理,估计有发生的可能,把握性较大,语气比possibly强。

  • I'll probably be home by midnight.
    我很可能半夜到家。
  • I'm probably going - it depends on the weather.
    我很可能会去——这要看天气怎么样。
  • He probably didn't even notice.
    他很可能都没有觉察到。