区别辨析engagement、appointment与date

engagement、appointment与date这些名词均有“约会”之意。

engagement : 普通用词,可与本组的另外两个词换用。泛指任何商定的地点和时间见面,专指针对某一目的约会。

  • a dinner engagement
    晚餐预约
  • I'm afraid I have a previous/prior engagement (= another arrangement already made).
    对不起,我已经有约了。

appointment : 通常指严格根据时间表上预约的时间进行的约见或约会,其目的主要是讨论公事或业务问题。

  • I'd like to make an appointment with Dr Evans, please.
    劳驾,我要预约埃文斯大夫的门诊。
  • She had to cancel her dental appointment.
    她不得不取消去看牙医的预约。
  • I've got an appointment to see Ms Edwards at two o'clock.
    我约好两点钟跟爱德华兹女士见面。
  • I've got a two o'clock appointment with Ms Edwards.
    我约好两点钟跟爱德华兹女士见面。
  • If he didn't have a secretary to remind him, he wouldn't keep (= remember to be present at) any of his appointments.
    如果没有秘书提醒,他会把所有的约会通通忘掉。
  • That's the second appointment he's missed.
    这是他第二次失约。

date : 主要指朋友之间的随便约见或男女之间的约会。

  • He asked her out on a date.
    他把她约了出去。
  • She has a hot date (= an exciting meeting) tonight.
    她今晚有一个朝思暮想的约会。