区别辨析eat、dine、have、consume、devour、gorge与swallow

eat、dine、have、consume、devour、gorge与swallow这些动词均可表示“吃”之意。

eat : 普通用词,使用广泛。既可用于人,也可用于动物。

  • Do you eat meat?
    你吃肉吗?
  • When I've got a cold, I don't feel like eating.
    我感冒时没有食欲。
  • We usually eat (= have a meal) at about seven o'clock.
    我们通常在7点前后吃饭。

dine : 正式用词,既可指一日三餐中的任何一餐,也可以指特殊的用餐。

  • I hate dining alone.
    我不喜欢一个人吃晚饭。
  • We dined by candlelight.
    我们在烛光下吃晚餐。
  • He once dined with the president of France.
    他曾经跟法国总统共进晚餐。

have : 可与eat换用,但强调一次性的动作。

  • I had prawns and rice for lunch.
    我午饭吃的是大虾和米饭。
  • Can I have a drink of water?
    我能喝口水吗?
  • When are we having dinner?
    我们什么时候吃晚饭?

consume : 侧重痛痛快快地吃得一干二净,可用于人和动物。

  • He consumes huge amounts of bread with every meal.
    他每顿饭都要吃掉大量的面包。

devour : 指狼吞虎咽地吃,强调吃得既快又彻底。

  • The young cubs hungrily devoured the deer.
    幼狮们贪婪地吞食着鹿肉。

gorge : 侧重指拼命地吃或塞,强调吃饱或吃得过量。

  • If you gorge yourself on snacks like that, you won't eat your dinner.
    你要是那样一个劲儿地吃零食,晚饭你就吃不下了。

swallow : 主要指吃的整个过程的第二部分“咽”,并常指咀嚼得匆匆忙忙地吃。

  • My throat is so sore that it really hurts when I swallow.
    我的喉咙很痛,吞咽起来很难受。
  • He put a grape into his mouth and swallowed it whole.
    他把一颗葡萄放进嘴里,整个儿吞了下去。