区别辨析desire、wish、hope、expect、want与long

这些动词都有“希望”之意。

desire : 语气较正式庄重,着重渴望的力量与热切,常含有强烈的意图和目的。

  • I desire only to be left in peace.
    我只想清清静静地不受打扰。
  • The hotel had everything you could possibly desire.
    该酒店有你可能想要的任何东西。
  • What does her Ladyship desire me to do/desire of me?
    夫人她想要我做些什么?
  • The president desires to meet the new prime minister.
    总统希望与新首相会面。

wish : 语气较弱,多指难于实现或不可能实现的愿望。

  • I wish (that) I was/were a bit taller.
    我个子再高一点就好了。
  • I wish (that) you were coming with me, Peter.
    你要是和我一起去就好了,彼得。
  • I wish (that) I hadn't eaten so much.
    我真希望自己没吃那么多。
  • I bet she wishes (that) she'd never got involved in the whole mess.
    我敢打赌她希望自己从未卷入整个事件里去。

hope : 指对愿望实现有一定信心的希望。

  • I'm hoping for an interview next week.
    我盼望着下星期有一次面试。
  • She's hoping (that) she won't be away too long.
    她希望她不会离开太久。
  • I hope (that) she'll win.
    我希望她能赢。
  • We have to hope and pray (that) the operation will go well.
    我们只能祈祷手术顺利。
  • They hope to visit us next year.
    他们希望明年能来我们这里作客。
  • It's good news, I hope.
    我希望是好消息。
  • "Will you be at the meeting tomorrow?" "I hope not/so".
    “你明天会参加那个会议吗?”“恐怕不行/我想是的。”

expect : 通常指有很大程度的把握,但仍含有预料之意,或预计某事或某行动的发生。

  • We are expecting a lot of applicants for the job.
    我们预计会有很多人来应聘这份工作。
  • I expect (that) you'll find it somewhere in your bedroom.
    我想你会在你卧室里找到它。
  • I expect (that) he'd have left anyway.
    我估计无论怎么说他都已经离开了。
  • He didn't expect to see me.
    他没有料到会碰见我。
  • The financial performance of the business is fully expected (= almost certain) to improve.
    确信公司的财务状况会大有改观。
  • We were half expecting you not to come back.
    我们一直以为你多半不会回来了。

want : 一般指所想要的东西是切望得到的东西,能弥补实际需要。

  • I want some chocolate.
    我想要些巧克力。
  • She wants a meeting with you.
    她想跟你见面。
  • He's everything you'd ever want in a man - bright, funny and attractive.
    他具备你理想中男人的所有特质——聪明、风趣而又有魅力。
  • What do you want to eat?
    你想吃什么?
  • Do you want me to take you to the airport?
    你要我送你去机场吗?
  • This package - do you want it sent today?
    这个包裹——你想今天寄出吗?
  • Do you want this pie hot?
    这块馅饼你想要热一下吗?
  • I don't want you coming in at two a.m., waking me up.
    我可不希望你凌晨两点来,吵得我睡不着觉。
  • You wait - by next year she'll be wanting a bigger house!
    你等着瞧——明年她就会想要一栋更大的房子了!

long : 语气强,指极殷切地盼望着,这种盼望侧重于很难或不可能得到的东西。有时也指一般愿望,但含一定感情色彩。

  • She longed to see him again.
    她很想再见到他。
  • I'm longing for news of him.
    我正在盼望着得到他的消息。