区别辨析cry、shout、exclaim、roar、scream、shriek、yell与call

这些动词的共同含义是“喊”或“叫”。

cry : 一般指因恐惧、痛苦、惊奇等而喊叫。

  • "Watch out!" she cried.
    “当心!”她叫道。
  • She ran to the window and cried for help.
    她跑到窗口呼喊救命。
  • ‘You're safe!’ Tom cried in delight.
    “你安全啦!”汤姆高兴地大声说道。

shout : 指有意识地高声喊叫,常用于提出警告、发命令或唤起注意等。

  • Dad really shouted at me when I broke the window.
    我打碎了窗户后,父亲冲我大吼大叫。
  • He shouted abuse at the judge after being sentenced to five years' imprisonment.
    被判5年监禁之后,他大声辱骂法官。
  • The fans were screaming and shouting out the names of the band members.
    歌迷们不住地尖叫着,大声喊着乐队成员的名字。
  • I shouted at him to put the gun down.
    我大叫着要他把枪放下。
  • "Stop this childish nonsense at once!" he shouted furiously.
    “马上停止这种孩子气的胡说八道!”他怒不可遏地吼道。

exclaim : 多指因高兴、愤怒、痛苦、惊讶等突发感情而高声喊叫。

  • "You can't leave now!" she exclaimed.
    “你现在不能离开!”她大叫道。
  • "Nonsense!" he exclaimed in disgust.
    “废话!”他充满厌恶地大声喝道。
  • She exclaimed in delight upon hearing the news.
    她听到这个消息高兴得叫了起来。

roar : 指发出大而深沉的声音、吼叫或咆哮。

  • The crowd roared.
    人群一片喧哗。
  • The fans roared (out) their approval.
    崇拜者大声叫好。
  • ‘Stand back,’ he roared.
    “靠后站。”他吼道。
  • We could hear the lions roaring at the other end of the zoo.
    我们可以听到狮子在动物园的另一端咆哮。

scream : 指因恐具、快乐或痛苦而发出的尖叫声。

  • A spider landed on her pillow and she screamed.
    一只蜘蛛爬上了她的枕头,她惊叫起来。
  • Through the smoke, the rescuers could hear people screaming for help.
    透过烟雾,救援者可以听见人们在喊救命。
  • He was screaming in/with pain and begging for anaesthetic.
    他疼得直叫,哀求用麻醉药。
  • They screamed with laughter at her jokes.
    听了她的笑话,他们大笑了起来。
  • Ken screamed (out) a warning telling people to get out of the way.
    肯大叫着警告人们别挡路。
  • Mrs Brown screamed (= shouted angrily) at Joel for dropping the test-tube.
    布朗太太生气地冲乔尔大喊大叫,因为他把试管摔破了。
  • I've never found screaming (and shouting) (= shouting angrily) at my staff to be very effective.
    我从来都认为冲着员工大喊大叫是没有什么用的。
  • "I wish you were dead!" she screamed (= shouted angrily).
    “我巴不得你去死!”她愤怒地叫道。
  • I tried to apologize, but he just screamed abuse/obscenities at me.
    我想道歉,但他却冲我破口大骂。

shriek : 指因惊恐、痛苦等或其它感情而发出比scream更为尖锐、刺耳的叫声。

  • We shrieked with laughter when we realized how stupid we'd been.
    意识到自己有多愚蠢时,我们大笑了起来。
  • I tried to apologize, but he just shrieked abuse at me.
    我想道歉,但他却冲着我高声辱骂。
  • "Don't you dare do that ever again!" she shrieked.
    “你以后再那样做试试!”她尖声嚷道。

yell : 多指求援、鼓励时的呼叫。也可指因外界因素刺激而发出尖厉声音。

  • Our neighbours were yelling (obscenities) at each other this morning.
    今天早晨我们的邻居在互相破口大骂。
  • The child yelled out in pain.
    孩子痛得大叫起来。
  • "Just get out of here!" she yelled.
    “滚出去!”她大吼道。

call : 指大声说话或喊叫,以引起某人的注意。

  • Someone in the crowd called (out) his name.
    人群中有人大声叫(出)他的名字。
  • Did you call?
    是你在叫吗?
  • "Hey, you! Come over here!" she called.
    “嗨,你!到这儿来!”她叫道。
  • The blackbird called to its mate.
    乌鸫呼唤它的配偶。