区别辨析continue、resume、succeed与go on

这些动词或短语动词均有“继续”之意。

continue : 普通用词。或指持续而不停止,或有一段中断后又继续下去。

  • It's said that as the boat went down the band continued to play.
    据说,船沉时乐队仍在继续演奏。
  • If she continues drinking like that, I'll have to carry her home.
    如果她再继续那样喝下去,我就只好把她扛回家去了。
  • Do you intend to continue (with) your studies?
    你打算继续你的学业吗?
  • If the rain continues, we'll have to cancel tonight's plans.
    如果雨还下个不停,我们只好取消今晚的计划。
  • Sally Palmer will be continuing as chairperson this autumn.
    萨莉‧帕尔默今年秋天将继续担任委员会主席。
  • The article continues/is continued on page ten.
    这篇文章续载在第10页。

resume : 指中断后的继续。

  • Normal services will be resumed in the spring.
    春天将恢复正常服务。
  • He stopped to take a sip of water and then resumed speaking.
    他停下来呷了一口水,然后继续发言。
  • The talks are due to resume today.
    会谈预定今天继续进行。

succeed : 侧重指有规律地连续。

  • In the weeks that succeeded, five more patients showed similar symptoms.
    接下来的几周里,又有5名患者出现了类似的症状。
  • Almost from its beginnings, New York has produced succeeding generations of intellectuals.
    几乎是从其存在之日开始,纽约就孕育了一代又一代的知识分子。

go on : 通俗用词,多用于口语中。go on+-ing表暂停后继续做原事,即后继续的内容与原来的内容相同。go on+不定式指做完某事后,接着做不同的另一件事。

  • Please go on with what you're doing and don't let us interrupt you.
    请继续做你的事情,不要因为我们而中断。
  • We really can't go on living like this - we'll have to find a bigger house.
    我们真的不能再这样生活下去——我们必须要找个大些的房子。
  • If you go on (= continue behaving) like this, you won't have any friends left at all.
    如果你继续这样,你一个朋友都留不住。