区别辨析condition、state、status、situation与circumstance

这些名词均有“状况、情况”之意。

condition : 一般强调产生影响的原因或环境,复数形式指笼统的情况。

  • Mum's still got our pram - it's very old, but it's in perfect condition.
    妈妈还留着我们的婴儿车——虽然很旧了,但仍然完好。
  • They left the flat in a terrible condition - there was mess everywhere.
    他们把公寓弄得一团糟——到处一片狼藉。
  • The hospital say her condition (= state of health) is improving slowly.
    医院说她的健康状况正在慢慢好转。
  • He's in no condition (= he is too sick or too drunk) to drive home.
    他的状况根本不能自己开车回家。

state : 普通用词,指人或物在环境、外表、心灵以及健康方面的状况,或指在某一阶段的状态或形式。

  • The building was in a state of disrepair.
    这栋大楼年久失修。
  • She was found wandering in a confused state (of mind).
    有人发现她到处游荡,神志恍惚。
  • Give me the keys - you're not in a state to drive.
    把钥匙给我——你状态不佳,不能开车。
  • After the accident I was in a state of shock.
    事故之后,我惊魂未定。
  • I came home to an unhappy state of affairs (= situation).
    我回到家时,心情十分沉重。
  • The kitchen was in its original state, with a 1920s sink and stove.
    厨房还保留着最初的样子,有一个20世纪20年代的水槽和炉子。

status : 指一个人在政治、社会、经济、法律上的地位或身份,暗含地位显要意味。也可用于指政治等事态的状况。

  • The association works to promote the status of retired people as useful members of the community.
    这个协会旨在提高退休人员的地位,使其成为社会中有用的成员。
  • There has been an increase in applications for refugee status.
    越来越多的人申请难民身份。
  • The success of her book has given her unexpected celebrity status.
    她的书的成功给她带来了意想不到的名气。
  • Applicants should have a degree or a qualification of equal status.
    申请人应该具有大学学位或同等学历的资格证明。

situation : 指明确具体的环境情况或处境。

  • the economic/political situation
    经济/政治形势
  • Her news put me in a difficult situation.
    她的消息让我陷入困难的境地。
  • "Would you get involved in a fight?" "It would depend on the situation."
    “你会和别人打架吗?”“这要看具体情况。”
  • I'll worry about it if/when/as the situation arises (= if/when/as it happens).
    如果这种情况发生/这种情况发生时,我会担忧的。

circumstance : 多指周围的情况或某事发生时的情况。

  • I think she coped very well under the circumstances.
    我觉得在那种情况下她处理得很不错。
  • Obviously we can't deal with the problem until we know all the circumstances.
    显然,我们只有了解全部情况后才能处理这问题。
  • She died in suspicious circumstances.
    她死得很蹊跷。
  • We oppose capital punishment in/under any circumstances.
    无论在什么情况下,我们都不赞成死刑。
  • Under no circumstances should you (= you should not) approach the man.
    你无论如何都不应该联系那个男人。
  • The meeting has been cancelled due to circumstances beyond our control.
    会议因不可控情况的出现而被取消了。