区别辨析command、order、direction与instruction

这些名词均含“命令”之意。

command : 较正式用词,强调权威性、全局性和强制性。

  • You will run forward at (= when you hear) my command.
    听到我的命令你们就向前冲。
  • When I give the command, fire!
    我一下命令就开火!
  • He hated being in the army because he had to obey commands.
    他讨厌当兵,因为当兵必须服从命令。

order : 普通用词,侧重指具体的命令。

  • The soldiers fired as soon as their commander gave the order.
    指挥官一声令下,士兵们立即开火。
  • Soldiers must obey orders.
    军人必须服从命令。
  • What are your orders?
    你接到了什么指示?
  • My orders are to search everyone's bag as they come in.
    我接到的命令是搜查每个进来的人的包。
  • The road was closed all day by order of the police.
    按照警方的命令,这条路全天封闭。
  • Clean up this room immediately - and that's an order!
    立刻清理好这间屋子——这是命令!

direction : 正式用词,指口头或书面的指示或命令。内容不一定详尽,语气较缓和,不太强调强制性。也可指指导性的说明。

  • I couldn't understand the directions on the packet.
    我看不懂包装盒上的说明。
  • He will be giving/issuing directions to judges on sentencing in the next few days.
    过几天他要向法官发布审理说明。

instruction : 书面用词,指不容违反、不容推翻的命令。也多指包含具体说明的指示。

  • The police who broke into the house were only acting on/under instructions.
    警察破门而入只是奉命行事。
  • He gave me strict instructions to get there by eight o'clock.
    他命令我必须在8点以前到达那里。